Building a Rat Rod

If you post pictures, you need to own them and please include some info.
Jack
Site Admin

Building a Rat Rod

Post by Jack » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:02 am

Building a rat rod is not the same as refurbishing a classic car. Most rat rods are started with parts and not usually parts from the same make and model of car.

In fact many have pieces from different cars and trucks. This means the frame and the cab may need to be fabricated to match is size.

There are not really any rules to what you do with your ratrod, it just has to be able to stay together. LOL

We are following Keith Sheffield as he builds his ratrod in 30 days. He is starting with parts that most people would just haul to the junkyard.

The cab has some serious rust inside and out. The frame isn’t even from one type of vehicle…it is also a mix and match.
Rat Rod Build - Truck Cab.jpg
Rat Rod Build - Truck Cab.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 281 times
When we talk about the engine, now this is where he is different from most other rat rod builders I know, he is going with an updated motor rather than an older one. Yes, he has his reasons for doing that.

We will be following along as when we made this video; he had only been working on it for 2 days and had already made some progress.

This should be fun to watch and I am sure even after he gets it road ready, he will still be adding and modifying as time goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4o3560kdPg

Be sure to subscribe to stay updated on his progress and see our other car show and interview videos.
word count: 268

Jack
Site Admin

Re: Building a Rat Rod - Day 10 Rat Rod Build

Post by Jack » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:48 pm

We went back to visit Keith Sheffield and get an update to see how he is doing on building his rat rod and as you will hear/see he is making progress.

When you build a rat rod, you are starting from pretty much nothing and the fact that there are no set rules to what or how you put things together, it can add to the fun or it can add to the problems.

Keith has gotten the cab put together and painted. He also got in the radiator, gas tank and batteries…but there is a lot more to do before it can be out on the road.

I really have a good time talking with Keith as he not only has a ton of knowledge; he is also a lot of fun. (Yes, we included a bit of goofing around!)

I have to say that I am glad he is not putting a wing on it like some other people we know!

500 - WM Duck face jpg.jpg
500 - WM Duck face jpg.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 221 times
word count: 184

Jack
Site Admin

The rat rod is done

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:19 pm

So after many long days and a few glitches, the rat rod is road ready!
This doesn't mean it is complete, because a rat rod is never done...there is always something to change.

Here you go...checkout the build!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rD5SBuIxxU&index=4&t=0s&list=PLkDtjbGJRm6ZEv4bLakun8ht9Kz05Opv-

So, what do you think?
word count: 59

Jack
Site Admin

Twin Turbos on the Rat Rod

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:34 pm

As I said, a rat rod is never really done and that holds true for this one. It wasn't long after that Keith decided it needed a little something else and twin turbo's happened to be it.

As you will see, they add a bit more personality to the truck (as if personality was what he was going for. LOL)
Rat Rod Twin Turbos 700 a.jpg
Rat Rod Twin Turbos 700 a.jpg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 93 times
The fact that they are unlevel drives me insane, but sure he doesn't really care. LOL

Here is a walk around video so you can see all of it.
Just click to start the video!

https://www.facebook.com/OffTheJacks/videos/723492134689352/

So what is next? I am not sure, but will let you know when we see it!
word count: 135

Jack
Site Admin

Building a Rat Rod Timelaps

Post by Jack » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:20 pm

So how does it take to build a rat rod?
Only 5 minutes and 47 seconds! Don't believe me...just watch how fast this all comes together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBFGCTfJOJI&index=4&list=PLkDtjbGJRm6ZEv4bLakun8ht9Kz05Opv-

I told you it was fast...wonder if he could clean my house that fast?
word count: 54